Thursday, July 16, 2009

Double D

It's not what you think.

One of my favorite spots to skate (and one that almost everyone else hates) is Marie Reed. It's right up the street from my house, but it's basically a bunch of sketchy things to skate, surrounded by shitty, gravel-like ground. I don't even really know why I like it, to be honest.

But I really do like these weird blue benches there. They're not really edged like metal benches, and they aren't all slick and slippery like plastic ones. They're some goofy plastic-coated metal with a rounded edge. But I'm all about them.

I even have my favorite bench. It's the 3rd from the left, and I've been working that thing over for years. Apparently, though, so has someone else. I went there to skate yesterday and I was popping onto the bench, I thought I saw something, a dark spot on the bench. I landed a quick boardslide and pushed back over to the bench to investigate.

DooDoo. There was DooDoo on the bench, on the ground below it, and between the little slats in the bench. I think someone just parked it there, dropped their drawers, killed it without even shifting positions, then moved on. I'm trying to tell myself my board didn't touch the DooDoo, but who knows?

I don't think my board could take it; a few minutes later it broke.

And i don't know what to do: new bench, or bail on the spot? Such a conundrum. I'm going to try and remember the bench as it was before it was DooDoo stained:


Those were the good times.

5 comments:

A, E, e, a said...

How is it you always run into poo no matter where you go? You have a talent nobody wants. See you soon.

Campbell said...

I agree. Your ability to seek out crap in many public places is starting to shake my confidence in your bowels.

HP said...

It's time to move on...
...to the next bench that is.
I'm pretty sure that everything we've skated in the District has provided relief to someone at one time or another. e.g. Mal-X manual pad, or anywhere in and around Shaw.

Chris Flynn said...

I too suffer the pain of being a doo doo magnet. But as HP says can we really avoid it skating in DC.

Ambrina said...

It's time to add a poo story counter to your blog.