Sunday, June 28, 2009

Outdoor Adventures


Before I left for this trip, I did a little homework (i.e., watched Man vs Wild) so I'd be prepared for some hardcore camping. I knew we were planning on camping a few times, and at least one of them was going to be in Idaho or Montana or somewhere super-burly, so I wanted to be prepared.

I practiced (yes, in my apartment) how to make a shelter with rope and a tarp; I practiced tying knots of various sorts; I packed the right gear and bought what I didn't already have (a mosquito net, duh) so I'd be ready to go.

And after all that, we ended up slamming a tarp in the car door, using screwdrivers as tent pegs and forgot to get any food before stores closed (believe it or not, there's not a 24-hour supermarket in Hells Canyon, ID).

But still, we camped out at about 7500 feet (I bought a good sleeping bag, so I didn't blow everything) and woke up in some crazy nature. Bear Grylls wouldn't be totally ashamed.

4 comments:

HP said...

excellent work ranger martin.

Campbell said...

Just don't pet the bears. I hear they bite. But be on the lookout for Sasquatch. Tell him I said hello.

A, E, e, a said...

Heck, yeah. Chris mentioned Sasquatch!! You'd tell me if you saw one, right!?! Good work

tem said...

I'm just relieved there were no 'bear' stories.