Monday, June 16, 2008

Man Card

So in the last two weeks I've been working on replacing the floors in my condo with hardwood. I've had these crusty, semi-musty carpets in there since I moved in, and with the help of my brother-in-law, Home Depot, and bourbon, the floors are finished. I'll probably put a few photos up here later, as I'm sure everyone wants to stare at pictures of floors for hours on end.

But a nice aside to the whole job is that I got to renew my Man Card multiple times in the process.

The first time was probably when I ripped up the old carpet. Since this took tools and I sweated a lot, the Man Card was renewed.

The next renewals were all part of the purchases needed to make this job happen...20 boxes of flooring, (bamboo, to be good to the environment, even tho that might negate one Man Card renewal for being a hippie), 3 power saws (and one with a laser sight, so now i feel like the Predator), and all kinds of other home improvement gear.

The thing I love about buying that stuff is that I have no idea how to use most of it (enter brother-in-law Adam), but I still felt like I was doing Man stuff when I bought it.

Obviously, the whole installation took lots of cutting, measuring, sweating and cursing, so the Man Card is good for at least a year now. I might have to go get a soy latte or some other un-manly thing since I'm paid up on Man Status for a while now.

And in case you're not doing home improvement but need to renew your Man Card, here's a few other ways:

1. Punch a stranger.
2. Use the word 'crankshaft' in a sentence.
3. Cook an animal over an open flame.

I'm sure that there are other ways, but those are the best ones.

2 comments:

Jason said...

How many man cards do you earn for black fingernails?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for acknowledging all who pitched in with the effort. No, really, thanks. You're a real pal.