Thursday, August 6, 2009

Screw You, Shark Week


I have this love/hate thing with watching shark shows. For some context, I'm terrified of sharks. To be more accurate, I'm terrified of getting eaten by a shark. Totally logical for a guy who grew up in Ohio, right?

I blame my dad—he gave me Jaws to read on a rained-out vacation one year when I was about 7, and I've been seeing great whites under every wave ever since. The funny thing is, I can't seem to turn away when there's anything shark-related on...Even though they fully freak me out, I can't turn the channel when I see those black, soulless eyes looking at me from the teevee.

This week is Shark Week on Discovery Channel, and I'm usually pumped about this. It means that there's going to be all kinds of cool shark stuff on, with re-creations of attacks, surfboards with huge chunks bitten out, etc....good times.

But I guess the recession even affects Shark Week; there's been at least one repeat from stuff last year during each of the prime time slots this week, and I think that's a travesty. I'm not really going to do anything about it (besides bitch and moan here), but I've been bummed out the last few nights.

That being said, I think there's some new stuff on tonight. They better not sneak a re-run in there.

1 comment:

A, E, e, a said...

You see, if you turn on Discovery in the middle of the day (i.e. Kids' naptimes), you get to watch an extra two hours of SharkWeek EVERY DAY...it's fantastic. I've probably logged in 10 hours of shark-watching since Sunday. Am I Ashamed of that? Not really.